Want to make edibles but overwhelmed by long and complicated recipes? These simple cannabis infused jolly ranchers may just inspire greatness. The effects of consuming edibles are dramatically different from smoking or vaping weed. Whereas the high when smoking sets in almost immediately, reaching its peak intensity within 30 minutes and subsiding over 2-3 hours.
In contrast, consuming edibles leads to a delayed onset of the high, taking 30-90 minutes to feel. Comparatively once it arrives, it lingers generally for 4-6 hours, and sometimes even longer, before gradually tapering off.
Cannabis candy represents more than your typical edible option. Placing the candy beneath your tongue elevates the sublingual absorption of its chemical components aka a higher high. This approach accelerates the effects, rendering them more potent, swift, and enduring.
This leads to an extended duration of the THC-induced high or the relief provided by CBD, as the release occurs gradually and steadily.
This easy recipe is a great way to trial simple marijuana candy at home. individual candies are a convenient and discreet way to consume your cannabis in public. Making your own edibles will also allow you to control the potency and the strain, whether you prefer Indica or Sativa.
Easy Cannabis Jolly Ranchers or Hard Candies
– 1 cup of granulated sugar
– ½ cup of light corn syrup
– ¼ cup of water
– Cannabis tincture (ensure accurate dosing) *see instructions below*
– Jolly Rancher candies (different colors for variety)
– Food coloring (optional)
– Candy thermometer
– Hard candy mold or silicone molds
– Baking sheet or cookie sheet
– Cooking spray
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat to place your molds on.
Infuse the cannabis tincture into coconut oil. Use the double boiler method *see below*. Stir until well combined.
Lightly grease the candy molds with cooking spray. This will make it easier to remove the candies once they’ve cooled and hardened.
In a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the granulated sugar, corn syrup, and water. Stir until the sugar dissolves completely.
Attach the candy thermometer to the side of the saucepan. Allow the mixture to come to a boil without stirring. Once it reaches 300°F (150°C), remove the saucepan from the heat.
Allow the mixture to cool for a minute or two. Then, add your cannabis tincture and a few drops of your favorite Jolly Rancher flavoring. You can also add food coloring at this stage for a fun touch.
Carefully pour the melted candy mixture into your prepared candy molds. If you want multi-colored candies, you can pour different colors into each mold cavity.
Allow the candies to cool and harden for at least an hour. Once they’ve completely set, gently remove them from the molds.
Place the cannabis-infused Jolly Ranchers in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. Enjoy these homemade cannabis candies responsibly, starting with a single piece to gauge the effects. Remember that the onset of the cannabis high might take longer when consumed in edible form so go slow.
The Double Boiler Method
- Preparation: Fill the bottom pot of the double boiler with water, ensuring it doesn’t touch the bottom of the upper pot when it’s placed on top. Place the upper pot on the bottom one to check the water level before removing it and bringing the water to a gentle simmer.
- Insert Ingredients: Place your cannabis-infused oil, or other ingredients requiring gentle heating in the upper pot.
- Heat Gradually: Place the upper pot back onto the bottom one and let the steam-generated heat melt or warm your ingredients gradually. Stir occasionally to ensure even heating.
- Monitor Temperature: Keep an eye on the temperature, using a thermometer if necessary, to prevent overheating.
- Maintain Control: Adjust the heat as needed to maintain a gentle simmer. Avoid rapid boiling, as it could introduce too much heat to the upper pot.
- Finish and Remove: Once your ingredients are melted or properly heated, carefully remove the upper pot from the bottom one using oven mitts or a towel.
What is a Cannabis Tincture?
A cannabis tincture is a liquid extract that contains the active compounds of the cannabis plant, primarily cannabinoids like THC and CBD. Tinctures are created by infusing cannabis plant material into alcohol, resulting in a concentrated solution that can be consumed sublingually (under the tongue) for fast absorption into the bloodstream.
Benefits of creating a Tincture
1. Precise Dosing: With a dropper, you can easily customize your intake to match your desired effects.
2. Discreet Consumption: Unlike smoking or vaping, tinctures produce minimal odor
3. Rapid Absorption: When taken sublingually (under the tongue), cannabis tinctures are absorbed directly into the bloodstream
4. Versatility in Consumption: tinctures can be mixed into beverages or used as an ingredient in cooking and baking
5. Longer Shelf Life: The alcohol used in tinctures act as preservatives, preventing the growth of bacteria and mould
6. Accurate Onset and Duration: more consistent and predictable effects. The onset and duration are relatively reliable
How to Create a Tincture
- Dried and decarboxylated cannabis flower
- High-proof alcohol such as Everclear/pure grain alcohol (190 proof is ideal)
- A glass jar with a tight-fitting lid
- A fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth
- An amber glass dropper bottle for storage
Step 1: Decarboxylation
Decarboxylation is a crucial step to activate the cannabinoids in your cannabis. Preheat your oven to around 220°F (105°C). Break up your dried cannabis flower and spread it evenly on a baking sheet. Bake the cannabis in the oven for about 30-40 minutes to activate the THC and CBD.
Step 2: Combining Cannabis and Alcohol
Place the decarboxylated cannabis into a glass jar. Pour enough high-proof alcohol over the cannabis to fully cover it. Close the jar with the lid, and shake it gently to ensure even distribution.
Step 3: Extraction
Allow the cannabis and alcohol mixture to sit in a cool, dark place for at least a few weeks. Shake the jar gently every day to promote the extraction process. The longer the mixture sits, the more potent your tincture will become.
Step 4: Straining the Mixture
After the extraction period is over, strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth into another container. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible, ensuring you’ve captured all the valuable cannabinoids.
Step 5: Bottling the Tincture
Transfer the strained tincture into amber glass dropper bottles. The amber color helps protect the tincture from light, preserving its potency. Label the bottle with the strain used and the date of preparation.
Step 6: Dosage and Usage
To use your cannabis tincture, simply place a few drops (start with a low dose) under your tongue and hold it there for about a minute. This sublingual method allows for quicker absorption into the bloodstream, resulting in faster onset of effects compared to ingesting edibles.
Making your own cannabis infused Jolly Ranchers is a delicious way to combine the benefits of cannabis with your favorite hard candy. By following these simple steps and using precise dosing, you will create a batch of personalized marijuana candies that cater to the sweet tooth and your desired level of relaxation. As with any edible, remember to start with a small amount, as the effects of cannabis can be strong and vary from person to person. Happy Willy Wonkering!
Mush Love xo