With more states in America legalizing both smokable and edible marijuana use than ever before, 2023 has seen an increasing number of people are enjoying the freedom of smoking weed both in public and in the comfort of their homes. Undoubtedly the most obvious downside to this freedom is the lingering smell of cannabis, which can permeate clothes, hair, and furniture. This can create an unpleasant and noticeable odour in the home. For your stoner convivence we have reviewed the absolute best air purifiers on the market currently for cleansing the air of marijuana smoke.
Beyond the issue with the dingey smell of stale smoke, smoking cannabis indoors poses a significant concern for the air quality. Furthermore recent studies have shown that smoking cannabis indoors can result in a substantial increase in PM2.5 particulate matter, which includes carcinogens and toxic chemicals. Even when tobacco is not used in the blend, air quality levels can worsen up to 100-fold with weed alone, leading to potential health effects for both smokers and second-hand smokers.
Whether smoking for recreational purposes or using medical marijuana, the smell of weed smoke and the release of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) can negatively impact indoor air quality. In order to combat these issues, investing in a powerful air purifier designed to tackle marijuana smoke is essential. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the best option for air purifiers available in the market currently, specifically tailored to effectively remove marijuana smell, odours, and harmful substances, ensuring a fresh and harm free living space.
To assist in creating an environment that is both comfortable to light up, and free from the smell of smoke, we’ve created a list of five of our absolute favourite purifiers on the market, looking at price, size, and effectiveness.
Understanding the Impact of Marijuana Smoke on Indoor Air Quality
Cannabis smoke, similar to cigarette smoke, releases a variety of harmful substances, including volatile organic compounds (VOCs), carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, and particulate matter. These pollutants can lead to respiratory irritation, allergic reactions, and even long-term serious health issues. To protect your indoor air quality, it is crucial to invest in a high-quality air purifier that effectively filters out these harmful pollutants, neutralizes odours, minimises risk of second-hand smoke and improves overall air cleanliness.
Key Considerations for Choosing the Right Air Purifier
Size and Coverage:
Consider the square footage of your living space. For a large area, opt for air purifiers with a high Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) and coverage suitable for larger spaces. Smaller rooms require air purifiers with a compact design and less coverage.
Look for air purifiers equipped with a True HEPA filter to capture smaller particles, such as marijuana smoke, pollen, pet dander, and other airborne particles. Activated carbon filters are also crucial for neutralizing odors and VOCs.
Pay attention to the noise level produced by the air purifier, especially if you plan to use it in your bedroom or home office. Consider models with sleep modes or adjustable fan speeds for quieter operation.
Features and Controls:
Smart features like air quality sensors, remote control, and automatic modes can enhance convenience and ease of use. UV-C lights and ionizers can also be beneficial in neutralizing airborne pathogens and improving overall air quality.
Maintenance and Filter Replacement:
Check the ease of maintenance and the cost of filter replacements to ensure the long-term cost-effectiveness of the air purifier.
Top Picks for Air Purifiers to Eliminate Marijuana Smoke
Levoit Core 400
This compact air purifier features a True HEPA filter, an activated carbon filter, and a customizable three-stage filtration system. It is perfect for small to medium-sized rooms, effectively removing marijuana smoke, odours, and other airborne particles.
What we like: Levoit is a dependable brand, the real-time air quality sensor shows the impact on the air quality of the purifier as you are smoking.
Coway Airmega 300
Designed for larger spaces, the Coway Airmega 300 boasts a high Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) and a dual filtration system. With its smart features and air quality sensors, it automatically adjusts its fan speed to maintain optimal air quality.
What we like: The Airmega is quiet and the app is very easy to use to monitor real time air quality.
Alen BreatheSmart 75i
Ideal for large rooms, the Alen BreatheSmart Classic offers advanced HEPA filtration combined with a unique WhisperMax technology, ensuring powerful air purification without excessive noise.
What we like: The BreatheSmart comes with a number of filter options, the B7 Fresh filter is ideal for weed smoke.
With a combination of True HEPA filter, activated carbon filter, and UV-C light, the GermGuardian AC4825 is an affordable and compact option suitable for small to medium-sized rooms, effectively eliminating marijuana smoke, odours, and airborne pollutants.
What we like: The lack of smart app options make this machine very simple to use for those that find tech intimidating.
A very economical device, with great bang for buck. With a combination of a medical-grade H13 HEPA filter and an Activated Carbon filter. A mid-sized unit with a powerful fan.
What we like: The low energy consumption means that you can light up at any hour and ensure the air is clean.
Additional Tips for Managing Marijuana Smoke
In addition to using an air purifier, implementing the following strategies can further help manage marijuana smoke and improve indoor air quality:
- Ensure proper ventilation by opening windows or using exhaust fans to allow fresh air to circulate. Air out the room by opening windows and using fans to remove smoke smell. Avoid smoking in enclosed spaces with limited airflow, as this can lead to a buildup of smoke and odours.
- Designate a specific smoking area and use smoke eaters or air purifiers to minimize smoke dispersion. Smoke smell will stick to carpet more than it does to hard floors like tiles, if possible select a space to smoke with limited curtains and carpet. Consider using odour-absorbing products, such as activated charcoal or baking soda, to neutralize odours.
- Deep clean surfaces, including walls and floors, with water and vinegar or other cleaning solutions. Wash all soft coverings regularly. This includes items such as curtains, upholstery, and cushion covers to remove any lingering smoke odours.
- Use a smokeless method of consumption, such as vaporizers or edibles, to minimize smoke production.
- Utilize scented candles, air fresheners, or essential oils to mask any remaining odours.
- Regularly clean and maintain your air purifier to ensure optimal performance.
- Consider using a HEPA filter in your air purifier, as these are designed to effectively remove small particles like smoke from the air.
- Encourage proper ash disposal by providing ashtrays or designated containers for smokers to use.
- Educate and communicate with household members or guests about the importance of managing smoke and maintaining clean indoor air quality.
- Lastly, if you live in a multi-unit building, be mindful of your neighbors and try to minimize the impact of smoke and odours on shared spaces by following proper ventilation and odour control practices.
Investing in the right air purifier is crucial for effectively removing marijuana smoke, eliminating odours, and improving indoor air quality. By considering factors such as room size, filtration system, noise level, and additional features, you can select the best air purifier to suit your needs. Consequently with the top recommendations provided in this guide, you can create a healthier and more pleasant living space, free from the harmful effects of marijuana smoke. Ensure you follow local regulations regarding the use of marijuana and always use air purifiers responsibly to maximize their benefits.
Mush Love xo